Disney parks plan to celebrate Mickey Mouse’s 90th birthday in a BIG WAY.
To commemorate 90 years of magic from the mouse himself, year-long festivities will be taking place across the globe. This includes: an exclusive fashion show, a new television special, a celebration at all Disney parks and resorts and more.
The massive, worldwide celebration kicks off on March 7, 2018 with The Happiest Sow on Earth. The runway fashion event will feature a Mickey-inspired collection designed by couture brand Opening Ceremony founders Carol Lim and Humberto Leon. Select items from the Mickey collaboration will be immediately available for sale following the runway show at shopDisney.com, OpeningCeremony.com and Opening Ceremony stores, while the remaining ready-to-wear looks will hit stores in November. The fashion show will also honor the iconic story of Minnie Mouse, who shares this milestone anniversary with Mickey and recently received her official star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- This fall, ABC will air a star-studded celebration of Mickey in honor of his birthday, with special guests, musical performances and more.
- Disney Channel will debut a fifth season of the Mickey Mouseanimated shorts, taking the series total to more than 90 shorts, including a special seven-minute extended-length birthday episode that will air later this year.
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts around the world will celebrate Mickey’s 90th on November 18, marking the day with commemorative merchandise, photo locations and more.
- Beginning in late 2018 and into 2019 the World’s Biggest Mouse Party, saluting Mickey and Minnie, will take place at Disney parks worldwide.
- Disney On Ice will salute Mickey as the “True Original” host of Disney On Ice since its inception in 1981 by creating Mickey’s 90th pre-shows for productions touring the United States, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Latin America.
- Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Special Celebration, a new production showcasing Mickey Mouse’s memories throughout the years, will launch in Japan in July 2018 and continue touring throughout the Asia-Pacific region until August 2019.
- In France, 38 design and art schools will take part in “Mickey Is Art,” a unique contest in which students will craft works of Mickey, inspired by their favorite artistic movement. The winning designs will be displayed this summer in 12 major train stations in France and for sale this September at Galerie Glénat in Paris.
- Disney store will continue to celebrate milestone moments for Mickey Mouse with the Mickey Mouse Memories Collection (launched January 2018), a monthly, limited-release series of 12 collectible plush, mugs and cloisonné pins inspired by Mickey’s most memorable movie roles.
- Disney Publishing Worldwide will introduce more than 30 titles globally as part of Mickey’s 90th, including books, arts & crafts and comics.
D23 will also be having their own celebration for Mickey’s 90th birthday throughout the year. D23, the Walt Disney Archives and Walt Disney Animation Studios are all teaming up to create special cover at for D23’s quarterly publication. D23 will also be hosting Destination D: Celebrating Mickey Mouse in November.