Shanghai Disney Resort will be the first Disney Park to reopen since the coronavirus pandemic closed the happiest places on Earth.
Disney CEO Bob Chapek said that they are seeing “encouraging signs” in return to normalcy in China amid the ongoing global coronavirus outbreak, and plan to re-open Shanghai Disneyland on May 11.
Newly announced CEO Bob Chapek commented on the plans:
“We know how much our guests have been looking forward to returning to Shanghai Disneyland, and our cast is excited to begin welcoming them back. As the park reopens with significantly enhanced health and safety measures, our guests will find Shanghai Disneyland as magical and memorable as ever.”-Bob Chapek, Disney CEO
According to Disney, its measures and procedures will include:
- Limited and pulsed attendance with an advanced reservation and entry system. Visitors will only be able to buy admission tickets for selected dates, and annual pass holders will have to make reservations in advance
- Controlled guest density. Lines will be spaced out and ride vehicles will be loaded to meet social distancing guidelines. The park will manage capacity, though it did not say how many total visitors it will allow in the park at any given time
- Implementing required government health and prevention procedures. Disney will screen visitors’ temperatures and implement use of the government-issued Shanghai Health QR code, which is a contact tracing and early detection system used in China
- Increased sanitization and disinfection measures. The park will make hand sanitizer available at the start of each entrance and exit to rides and attractions. Disney said “high-touch locations such as ride vehicles, handlebars, queue railings and turnstiles will have increased sanitization
- Training for cast members. Disneyland workers will receive training on “contactless guest interaction, cleaning and social distancing and will receive additional protective equipment including masks
Disney’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Pam Hymel echoed the need for advanced health precautions in a special letter for fans.