While celebrating Independence Day isn’t possible in the parks this year, Disney is helping fans across the country celebrate it in their homes.
In honor of 4th of July, Disney is serving up America’s favorite pie with the recipe from Whispering Canyon Café at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Their version is layered with tart Granny Smith apples and has a cake-like top crust.
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup water
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
APPLE PIE BATTER
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
FOR PIE CRUST:
- Combine butter, shortening, flour, sugar, and salt in bowl of electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at medium speed until crumbly.
- Add milk and mix until incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and place in 9-inch pie plate.
- Set aside.
- Bring water to simmer in large pot.
- Place apples in a steamer basket and add to pot. Steam for 10 minutes. Remove from water.
- Cool to room temperature and toss with apple pie spice.
FOR APPLE PIE BATTER:
- Cream butter and sugar in bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fluffy. Add eggs and mix until just incorporated.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. Slowly add to mixer and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add cream and mix until smooth.
- Set aside until ready to bake.
FOR APPLE PIE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 1/2 cup apple pie batter on top of pie crust, spread until smooth. Top with apples and remaining apple pie batter.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 more minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature before serving. If desired, top pie with sliced almonds and dust with confectioners’ sugar once cooled.
- Note: This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. As a reminder while preparing this recipe, please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
Click here for a print-at-home version of this recipe.