Today marks the 65th anniversary of Disneyland and to celebrate the milestone, Disney is sharing the recipe for Walt’s Chili from Carnation Café.
Chili and beans is said to be one of Walt’s favorite meals.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3/4 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons beef base
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 diced tomatoes, for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large Dutch oven, over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add stew meat and sauté for 10 minutes, until meat is browned on all sides.
- Remove stew meat from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to pan, heat for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add onions and green pepper. Sauté 8-10 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and sauté one minute longer, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up large chunks of beef, for 10-12 minutes, until beef is no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
- Return stew meat to the Dutch oven with ground beef mixture. Add ground cumin, chili powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, tomato paste, fresh, diced tomatoes, beef base, and water.
- Bring chili to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 hours, until stew meat is tender.
- Add pinto beans. Simmer for 10 minutes, until beans are warm.
- Season with salt, as needed.
- Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and diced tomatoes.
This recipe provided by Disney is intended to serve 6-8 people.