After more than a year of virtual races due to the COVID-19 pandemic, runners will once again be able to take part in in-person events at Walt Disney World Resort this fall, for the runDisney 2021-2022 race season.
The season will include four race weekends:
- Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend powered by AfterShokz: November 4-7, 2021
- Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend: January 5-9, 2022
- Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend: February 24-27, 2022
- runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend presented by Otterbox: March 31-April 3, 2022
Due to fluctuating COVID-19 health and safety guidelines, runDisney says offerings could be altered and EVERYTHING may not be back to normal (assuming officials are referring to character meets & corral size), however, the events will be back in some capacity.
As listed in the events above, there are new events and elements coming in 2022.
New runDisney offerings include:
- runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend: Each race season, the fourth weekend will be the runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend, featuring new and evolving race themes and distances each year
- Disney Princess Sunrise Yoga: On the first morning of the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend, runDisney will introduce Disney Princess Sunrise Yoga, a professionally led yoga session in front of Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park before the theme park opens to help runners gear up for their races
- Virtual Races: All runDisney races will have a virtual race option, allowing runDisney fans across the country to participate in their favorite races, even if they are unable to run at Walt Disney World. Runners are encouraged to complete their race on the same morning of the on-site events as part of the runDisney community, and will receive the same finisher medal
- Just for Kids: The runDisney Kids Races during each event weekend will become runDisney Kids Adventures, focused on health, fitness, and fun for kids
To mark the return of in-person races, the 2021 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend will be themed “Wickedly Delicious” and will celebrate beloved Disney villains and will feature the Disney Wine & Dine 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, and Disney Two Course Challenge (10K and half marathon), with in-person and virtual options available for all four. The Post-Race Party will cap off the weekend, allowing runners to celebrate their accomplishments with family and friends at EPCOT with exclusive, after-hours access to the park and the International Food & Wine Festival.
The theme of the 2022 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend will honor the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World, and the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend theme will celebrate courage and kindness inspired by some favorite Disney princesses.